Thursday, June 5, 2008

Sew much fun!

In my last post I wrote about the projects that the boys worked on the past two weeks. Grandma Devereaux and I mostly watched the kids, went to the zoo, played with the boys, kept the house clean and the boys fed, and did some shopping. (The boys did much more shopping than we did, but they claim that theirs was mostly project related!) We did end up working on a project together, which was making a baby wrap for me.

I have never really been comfortable wearing the Snugli that we got when I was pregnant with Jacob. It just never seemed to fit right and it made my back and shoulders hurt. Then I heard about the Moby Wrap and I was intrigued. They always looked kind of fun, but I couldn't really afford one. I showed it to my mother-in-law while she was here and she said "lets look on Google and see if there are directions to make one". Duh! Why didn't I think of that?

We found directions online and it was really easy to make. I even got to choose the fabric that I wanted to use. After I got it finished I was playing around with it and asked Jacob to be my guinea pig (Ephraim was sleeping). So I wrapped him up a couple of different ways and he absolutely loved it! Every time I asked him if he wanted to get out he said, "Nope!".

So I carried him around for a while and played "horsie" as he put it. I was actually surprised that I could carry around my 27 pound toddler without feeling incredibly weighted down. The fabric really spread his weight across my back (except for the hip hold). Plus I could put Jacob in a variety of different positions. I think my new wrap is great! It will be nice when I need to take both of the boys places where a double stroller is not practical. If you want directions (or help) to make one for yourself, let me know!

By the way, Ephraim likes it too.

3 comments:

  1. The Debbie wrap looks great. I'm glad Jane thought of getting the instructions of the internet. It looks great!

    Love ya,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo...post directions please. Or you can just teach me how when we finally get together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melinda-

    It's super easy. Go to the fabric store and pick out five yards of woven cotton. Cut the fabric in half horizontally and hem all the edges. You will end up with a piece about 20 inches by 5 yards... and you're done.

    I looked at this website to figure out how to wrap myself.
    http://www.mobywrap.com/t-instructions.aspx
    It took me a few tries to feel like I got it just right, but then it was great.

    ReplyDelete