Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I is for Igloo

This week it was our turn to have Jacob's preschool at our house. Since Monday was Civil Rights Day or Martin Luther King Day or whatever you want to call it, we did not have preschool on Monday. Instead we did it on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Tuesday's letter was I. Since it is January, I figured that igloos would be the perfect theme to go along with the letter. So after circle time where we discussed the weather, day of the week, etc., I read some stories about winter and igloos. Surprisingly there are not a lot of books about igloos, so I actually borrowed some from Grandma Heiner's library.

Then we got to the craft, which was making igloos.


I decided the easiest way to accomplish this was with marshmallows, frosting, and paper bowls.


To make the craft easier for me, I frosted the bowls for the kids and then let them place the marshmallows on them however they wanted.


Of course Jacob lined his up in neat little rows, which I thought was pretty cute. I also made the kids graham cracker cookies as a snack so we would have enough marshmallows for the igloos.

Melinda was kind enough to let Ephraim come and play at her house while I did preschool. It is a bit challenging at times to try to do a craft with five 4 year-olds and help Ephraim at the same time. He wants to participate, but sometimes he is just far enough behind the older kids that it is hard for him.

Of course when he got home Ephraim wanted to make an igloo too. So that evening I got out the marshmallows and frosting and let him go at it.


Then I told the boys that they were welcome to eat the marshmallows from their igloos. They thought this was a great idea!


Of course Ephraim had to copy the way Jacob was trying to eat his, and the sight of them trying to lick the marshmallows and frosting off just made me laugh!


As I said earlier, we have been working on getting the baby's room all painted and ready, now that Jacob and Ephraim are in the same room. We got the green wall all painted, so tonight Joe was working on getting the ceiling painted. Joe worked hard on the baby's room all weekend (plus Monday). It is going to look great!


It is hard to tell from these pictures the actual color of the wall because it was night time, so I will have to take another picture when we are done. The room is going to be SO cute, especially since the bedding matches the green wall so nicely.


Thanks for all the hard work Honey! It looks amazing.

2 comments:

  1. Those are great igloo pictures! I love that Ephraim and Jacob were licking them. That's hilarious! I love that our kids are enjoying preschool together. What fun! Good job Joe on the baby's room. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talk about yummy igloos! That looked like lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete