Saturday, February 19, 2011

Maybe I am Nesting After All

Lately I have been working on a number of projects to get ready for our little daughter's arrival. One of the things that I have really wanted to make was a car seat canopy. I have seen them around and they are really nice because they keep your baby covered up and away from bad weather and people who tend to be too hands-on when the baby is little. I think it will be great if the baby is napping as well to keep them covered up so there are less distractions.

So here is the canopy that I ended up making for our daughter. Isn't it cute?


It attaches to the handle, but you can always flip the front backwards if you need access to the baby. I really like the fabric that I ended up with. Isn't it nice?

The funny thing is that this is the second canopy that I have made this month. When I made the first one, Joe didn't really love the fabric that I chose. He said it was fine, but I could tell he didn't like it at all. Even though I still think it is cute, I decided to give it to a good friend (who is also having a girl) and make one that Joe would like better, since he will be carrying around the carseat too. Here is the original canopy I made:

Cute, huh?

I have also been on a crocheting kick lately. I have been making hats and diaper covers for our daughter as well as to give away as gifts. I will admit that our daughter will not really need to wear a lot of these hats on a regular basis, but they will look great in pictures! I guess my Dad had me pegged when he said that I was really making "photo props"!

Here is a cute pom-pom hat. I wish you could feel the yarn! It is SO soft and fluffy.


I also used this yarn to make a hat similar to the one picture below, which I think turned out way cute. This one is not hard to make and I will definitely be making some of these as gifts.


Here is one of my favorite girly hats. I can make it in tons of sizes and put different colored flowers on it. So cute!
Here is some more of that funky, soft yarn. They were discontinuing this yarn at Roberts, so I got it for $1 a skein instead of $4! I probably should not admit that I ended up buying close to 20 skeins of yarn to make hats and diaper covers with!


One of my favorite types of hats is the bear hats that I have made. This pattern is easy, works up quickly and is so adorable! I have made a brown set, a white set, this black bear set (which I will probably give away). Since I took this picture I have decided to add a pom-pom to the back of the diaper cover, which makes it even more adorable!


These are just the hats I have made recently! Over Christmas I made several hats as well. Bear hats, cloche hats, hats with long tails and pom-poms. They are all so cute! I like to make hats because they don't take too long and I can feel like I've actually made something cute. I guess I will either have to start giving a bunch away, or start up an online shop and sell them. It is amazing what people will buy hats like these for! Either that or I could "rent" the hats out to photographers or use them if I ever get around to taking babies pictures myself. I guess time will tell! In the meantime, at least I am enjoying myself... and expect to see lots of pictures of my daughter wearing cute hats!

4 comments:

  1. Love all the cute little hats. I have two diaper covers I need to get done. I am also working on baby afghans too. Notice the plural on that last item? I went crazy buying yarn in St. George.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO SO CUTE! You are uber talented, my friend!! I can't wait to see all the pics you take of her in this cuteness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are adorable. I think I need to have another baby just so that I can get a bear set! :) You are talented, my friend. You should sell them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. - I like the canopy fabric you chose. It turned out great!

    ReplyDelete