Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Our Golden Pond

This week we discovered another fun and FREE summer activity; the local pond! My friend Shelley asked me if I had ever taken the kids to the park with the pond, and I had no idea what she was talking about! It turns out, not too far from our house is a little park with a fishing pond. They stock the pond with fish for anglers, but they also have a sandy beach area and a wading zone where kids can play and swim! So fun!


So after swimming lessons, when we were already wet, we drove up to the pond to meet Shelley and her kids. The water was nice and not yucky at all. Miss Amelia loved wading near the shore, and the boys got to play in the water with pool noodles.


I was pleasantly surprised that my little girl did not try to go too deep into the pond! The shore drops off after a little ways, so I didn't want her to get in too deep. It was a good thing she stayed close, since I didn't want to spend my whole time there trying to wrangle her and keep her away from the water.


Besides swimming, the kids enjoyed digging near the shore and playing with the sand toys we brought.


We have never really played at a beach, and having water near the sand added a whole new element of fun to their digging! Even Miss Amelia had fun digging in the sand.


Maybe sometime we will have to come back and actually fish at the pond to see if we can catch anything. For today we were just happy to stay and play. I have a feeling we will be back in the near future!


As for me, it was nice to sit under the shade of my umbrella with a friend and watch our kids play. These are the summer days that I will look back on with a smile.

2 comments:

  1. What a great way to spend time on a summer afternoon. It sounds so inviting to sit by the water and let the kids play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute is Amelia in that suit?!

    ReplyDelete