Thursday, November 10, 2011

Snowman Preschool

It has been my turn to teach our cooperative preschool this week, which has kept me pretty busy. On Monday we did the letter R and talked about Zoo animals. So we read a ton of zoo books and a fun book called "Raccoon Tune". Then we made raccoon masks out of paper plates, which the kids loved.

I was excited about my lesson for today. I was teaching the letter S, so I decided to focus on snowmen! As you would expect (since I am a librarian), we read lots of fun books about snowmen. I especially loved the three books I read by Caralyn Buehner. I really need to get "Snowmen at Night", "Snowmen all Year", and "Snowmen at Christmas" for my boys. They love them!



But I am getting ahead of myself. First we do "circle time" where we talk about the date, the weather, sing the ABC song and count to 20 . THEN we read the books. After we are done reading, next we cut and pasted pictures into our alphabet notebooks.


Ephraim loved helping me pick out the pictures that I printed. He is getting pretty good at cutting the pictures apart.


Next we moved on to the craft. I was a little apprehensive because I chose a messy craft. We used a concoction of part shaving cream and part Elmer's glue to make these puffy snowmen.


I found the idea on Pinterest (original idea here), but instead of using brushes to paint on the foamy stuff, we used balloons. We dipped different size balloons into the foamy paint and plopped them on the paper. That way the snowmen would be made out of circles.  The paint dries kind of puffy, which is cool.


Then we had the treat, which were my favorite part of the day. Check these out!


Aren't these powdered donut snowmen cute? They just have candy corn noses and gel frosting eyes and smiles. They were a big hit with the kids!

Amelia was a good girl for me during preschool this week, and today she even wore her snowman onesie for the occasion!






1 comment:

  1. Preschool looks like it was lots of fun. I want a snowman!

    ReplyDelete