Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Swimming in Sauce

Oh my goodness! August is definitely the start of home canning season! Just check out what I picked from my garden the other day:

Tons of tomatoes and more than a bushel of peaches. I already canned 14 quarts of peach pie filling over the weekend (on the 21st) and can't believe I still have so many peaches! But at least they are pretty, right?

So yesterday I decided that I'd better get busy. The boys love to help me use the strainer attachment for my Kitchen Aid to get rid of the tomato seeds and skins. So I quarter the tomatoes and Jacob and Ephraim help me squish them down. What great helpers!


It took me a few hours to get through all those tomatoes. Then I had to add the onions and spices and cook the spaghetti sauce for a bit. The biggest pot I have is my pressure cooker, so I used it. 23 quarts and I filled it up to the top!


Then I bottled the sauce. I was up until after 11 p.m. last night getting it done. Boy was I tired! Probably even more tired than these boys:



 But the spaghetti sauce sure is delicious... and beautiful!

Now if only all those peaches weren't still sitting there waiting for me! Oh the joys of home canning. At least my pantry will be full over the winter, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment