Friday, March 5, 2010

Once There Was a Snowman (Mar 5)

I knew there was a storm coming, but I never really expected THIS much snow! When we got up this morning there was about six inches of snow on the ground and more was falling! It was good, wet, sticky snow. Perfect for a snowman!

Jacob has been asking to build a snowman all winter, but the snow has never been right for it. So this morning I decided that this would probably be our last chance, so we got bundled up and went out in the snow.

I decided that since we needed to get the snow off the driveway, we might as well do it by rolling snowballs. It was really easy to get the snowballs big and round. The boys were great little helpers!

Before long the snowballs got pretty big! First the snowball was up to Ephraim's shoulders.


Then the biggest snowball was clear up to Jacob's neck!

What I forgot was that I still had to roll the snowball out into the grass! So by the time we got it where we wanted it, the bottom snowball was HUGE!

Since I made the bottom snowball so big, we had to have a pretty good-sized middle one. I almost could not lift the snowball on top of the bottom one because it was so HEAVY! But I managed to get it up there.

While I was finishing the snowman, Jacob worked on clearing out the rest of the driveway. Actually you can see that it was warm enough that the snow was already starting to melt off the driveway.

I thought Jacob was very resourceful to use some of his sandbox toys to help him haul away the snow. It was fun to watch him work!

We finally got the snowman finished and he was tall, tall, TALL!

I think this is one of the biggest snowmen that I have ever built! Both of the boys thought it was the greatest thing ever!

Jacob in particular really LOVED his snowman. He told me that he wanted to keep his snowman forever!

Of course this is a bit problematic because the snowman was going to melt. As a matter of fact, the instant it stopped snowing he started melting.

I took several photos throughout the day, and you can see that he just kept getting shorter..


and shorter. Soon the big snowball on the bottom was more of an oval than a circle.


And the boys are looking much taller in comparison! Finally by the end of the day the snowman was looking pretty deflated.


Most of the rest of the snow that we got in the morning had already melted. I couldn't believe how fast the snow melted! I also couldn't believe that the snowman was still standing at all!

Jacob wanted me to go out and put the snowman's nose and eyes back on, so I did. He was a little sad that his snowman was melting, but all in all he took it pretty well. He really loved this snowman!

1 comment:

  1. That is a seriously cool snowman, and you are a seriously cool Mom!

    ReplyDelete