Monday, April 19, 2010

Flat Out Rescued

This evening as I left to go on my evening bike ride, I had the feeling that I should check my pocket to see if I had my cell phone. I was already a few blocks from our house and discovered that my phone was not with me.  I thought to myself... "I really should go back and get it". So what did I do? I ignored that feeling. I thought... "I won't really need my phone anyway, right?!"

So you can probably guess what happened. My bike ride was going smoothly.... I was only a few miles from home as the sun was starting to set.. and I GOT A FLAT.


I can change a flat tire. It's not a big deal. But it was starting to get dark and I didn't plan to be out past dark (so I didn't have a headlight). To make matters worse, I knew couldn't call Joe and tell him I would be delayed because I did not bother to go back and get my phone!

So as I walked my bike towards a nearby parking lot to change my tire I was thinking about how silly it was that I didn't just take that extra minute to listen and go get my cell phone. Just then a nice woman and her van load of kids asked if they could give me a ride home.

I was grateful for the offer and loaded my bike into the back of her van. It was also somewhat humbling to realize that I was being taken care of even though I hadn't done my part earlier.


So here's a note to myself (and to you): Next time you are prompted to do something... just do it! Also, watch out for those opportunities to help others. You never know how much they may need it and how much it might teach them.

I got to have a little lesson from Joe that evening too. We had a little refresher course on how to change a rear flat tire. So now I am prepared for riding all spring and especially when I do my 100 mile ride for Little Red Riding Hood in June. Last year I got two flats and couldn't really fix them myself. This year I am ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment