Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Elmer the Elephant at Preschool

This week it was my turn to teach Ephraim's preschool. Since the letter for the day was E, I decided that we would do something related to elephants. I was thinking about preschool while at Tucson for Christmas and Grandma Devereaux suggested that we read about Elmer the Elephant.

So I checked out the books and thought they were wonderful! Elmer is a patchwork elephant and he is awesome. Jacob and Ephraim loved reading these books and I wonder how did I not know about these books before? There were quite a few Elmer books, including some newer ones.



I made the elephants using egg cartons. I found the idea on this website and they weren't hard to make at all. I thought they turned out pretty well.

First I read the first few Elmer books, then we put long socks over our arms and pretended they were trunks. I had the kids reach into a sack and pick something. Then they were supposed to try to tell me what it was without looking. The kids thought it was tons of fun and wanted to do it again later!


I wish I had pictures of the kids with their elephant trunks, but sometimes when you are in charge of 5 three-year-olds it can be pretty busy. I did manage one picture of them doing their E coloring page.


After they colored their paper elephants, I let them color their egg carton elephants. They did a great job making their own colorful elephants. (Ephraim's is the one on the left).



It was a really fun preschool day for me. I was really happy with how the crafts and activities worked out. I really do enjoy teaching preschool a lot more when I am prepared!

3 comments:

  1. Those are really cute elephants. I love Ephraim's elephant such nice colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those elephants were great! I am glad that you enjoyed teaching because I know that kids sure enjoyed preschool that day! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elmer the Elephant - off to the library we go to check out books of my favorite animal! That activity is adorable!

    ReplyDelete