Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Wyoming visit -Trip to Cottonwood lake

On our last evening in Wyoming, we decided to try to get Grandma out of the house for a little while. She had basically been stuck in the house since her surgery, which is enough to drive anyone crazy.

So with Grandpa's help, Grandma managed to get down the stairs and into the suburban. We were all so proud of her! We took a little drive up the canyon to go to Cottonwood Lake. It was a beautiful evening and I got lovely pictures of the river, flowers, local wildlife, and of course the lake.

On the way to the lake we passed a lot of gorgeous scenery:

We also saw a rock chuck, a deer, and some rabbits. The boys were having a great time looking out the window. I even managed some nice flower shots out the window:

When we got to the lake we let the boys get out of the suburban. Of course the first thing they wanted to do was get close to the water.

I tried to tell them to not get too wet, and they both did a pretty good job. Of course Ephraim was a bit harder to convince.

I told my Dad that he should show the boys how he could skip rocks. So they looked around for some good ones...

I have never taken pictures of rocks skipping on water, so of course I had to give it a try. I got some really great photos. If you enlarge some of these you can see the ripples on the water, and even the rock in mid-air.

Two skips with the rock in mid-air.

Three skips, can you see the rock?

Grandpa Heiner is pretty good at skipping rocks, huh?

I was pretty impressed with some pictures that Dad showed me that he took of the lake. He wanted to give me the chance to take a nice picture too. Unfortunately there was a big log that had gone over the falls. Dad even tried to remove it for me.

The log wouldn't budge, but I think the picture turned out nice anyway.

I also took some fun photos of the wildflowers that were up around the lake. Here is one that I thought was interesting because there were bugs in the flowers!

We had a great time going to the lake. We wore Grandma out a little bit, but it was nice to get out of the house and see something different.

This morning (Tuesday) I started packing everything up to head home. The worst part of this afternoon was getting ready to leave. I had to pack up the car, which is a job Joe usually takes care of. He is much better at fitting everything back into the car!

The boys and I survived the drive home, although we did have to stop once on the side of the road for an emergency potty break. At least it is not too much of a problem with boys!

We also stopped to take some pictures of the art work a farmer has displayed in one of his fields. We always watch for these critters on the way to Grandpa and Grandma's house because then they know getting close.

Don't you just love the shovels that make up the dragon's ears and tail? Nice paint job too!


I think this road runner is made out of some aluminum siding/roofing... and I don't even know what else. Pretty creative, don't you think?

I don't plan on doing a solo road trip with the boys for a while! I really missed having adult companionship in the car... not to mention another pair of hands. It is great to be home!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you had such a good time in Wyoming and hope you'll enjoy it again this weekend!

    ReplyDelete