Friday, October 20, 2006

Playing Hooky

Dear Jacob,

It has been a glorious day so far. This morning I played sick and stayed home with you and Daddy. We slept in a little bit, and then I fed you breakfast. You played with your toys while Daddy studied and I cleaned up the kitchen. Then I went downstairs to exercise. You fell asleep and had a little nap while I finished up and Daddy and I showered. Then I got ready and came to work. It was nice to have a fun, lazy morning.

So it has been kind of hard being at work since I told them that I am going to be quitting. I have been giving other people my work assignments, and so I have less and less to do. In some ways I guess I feel like I am already gone… but I still have to come to work and sit around in my office. Today I taught one of my last bibliographic instruction classes, and I don’t have too many more reference shifts to do. It will be strange not to work anymore.

So this week Daddy and I picked most of our tomatoes because it is starting to freeze at night. So we have a couple of boxes of green tomatoes that will ripen up in the next couple of weeks. We probably won’t have to buy any for at least another month. We also picked all our peppers, so I’ll have to plan some meals that use them in the next week.

Last night you and I did something a little out of the ordinary. When I came home from work with you I got a phone call from my friend Cari. It seems that one of our college roommates, Melissa Chipman, is having a rough time so they wanted to have a little get-together. She got married this year, and is filing for divorce even though she is pregnant. What a tough situation. After I let Daddy know what I was up to, I took you with me and we drove up to Sandy to visit her. You were a little concerned about being someplace new and kind of whined and cried a little, but eventually you warmed up to everyone. It was good to see Melissa again, and I’ll have to make her a blanket for her baby boy when he is born.

I put you in your pajamas before driving home, and on the way I talked to Daddy on the phone. By the time I got home you were asleep so I put you in bed. Then Daddy and I talked for a while and then went to sleep.

Today after work I plan to get started on your Halloween costume. I decided to make it myself, since I could make something that I wanted and it would be less expensive. I hope it works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment