Thursday, March 24, 2011

Our First Week with Amelia

While we were at the hospital, Grandma Heiner was kind enough to stay at our house with Jacob and Ephraim. They had a great time with Grandma and were excited to get to do fun things with her like go to the playplace at McDonald's and watch "Toon Maters" (as Ephraim calls it). By far their favorite thing to do was to play on Grandma's laptops. She brought one for both of the boys and they thought it was so much fun! Check out this picture Joe took on his phone.

Joe also surprised me and brought me home the most beautiful flowers! They are so bright and colorful in the kitchen and it makes me happy to see them there every day.


The first few days at home are always busy with trying to figure out what Amelia needs and how to make her happy. I have tried to remember to take a picture now and then to remember how little Amelia is and how she is growing. Here is a picture that I took on March 19, when she was 3 days old.

Here is a similar picture from the next day, except she is asleep in her crib instead of the cradle. This particular day was Sunday. Joe took the boys to church while the Devereaux girls spent some time together at home.

On Monday Joe had to go to his class at UVU. He had someone else lecturing, but he wanted to attend his class. So my wonderful, fabulous, and awesome friend Melinda came over in the evening to help me out. She took some pictures of the boys and I with Amelia. I am so glad she came so that we remembered to take these pictures, and the boys had fun with Melinda at our house.

Here is Jacob with Amelia. He just loves to hold her and talk to her.


Look at this face! Isn't she a cutie?

Here is a couple of pictures of Amelia with Mommy.


You can already tell that she is getting bigger, don't you think?


Here is another picture Melinda took for me while I was burping Amelia. We think her eyes will most likely be blue, but I guess time will tell.


Jacob and Ephraim have been doing pretty well with their new little sister. It is a little hard for them that Mommy is so busy with Amelia. So while Melinda was at our house I let her hold Amelia while I made Jacob a sword to match the shield he made at preschool. He has been asking me to do it for a while, but I never have had time. He was so happy I made this for him!


Now he can be Amelia's knight in shining armor!

Ephraim also wanted to hold Amelia and have his picture taken while Melinda was there. He tells us that he loves his baby sister. He is not as excited as Jacob to hold her, but otherwise he has been doing just fine with her.


Yesterday Amelia was one week old. My mom reminded me that I was planning on doing some size comparison pictures of her, just like I did with Ephraim. So I pulled out a pink bunny that I had in the closet and took some pictures. Here is Amelia at 7 days old.


This bunny is a bit bigger that Ephraim's bear, and a whole lot bigger than Amelia!


It will be fun to see the bunny get smaller as Amelia gets bigger.


Yesterday we also had a break in the yucky weather we have been having all week. So I let the boys go outside and blow some bubbles. They had a great time.


Yesterday on her one week birthday Amelia actually had a really cranky day. She was awake most of the day, just screaming. We could not figure out what was the matter. Then in the evening just as we were eating dinner she started to scream again. I opened her diaper to check it out and found that he umbilical cord had become caught on her clothes or diaper and had ripped off. Poor girl!

I called the pediatrician and they told me how to take care of it. Apparently it shouldn't bug her now as long as we keep it clean and dry. Her umbilical cord was actually kind of curved, so I think it has been poking her now and again. Maybe it's not so bad that it got pulled off!

The Randalls came over again while Daddy was at his class. Sara, Jason, and Melinda were all happy to hold little Amelia. I will have to get some of the pictures that they took because I am sure there were some good ones.

Then in the evening when Daddy came home I remembered to take a picture of Daddy with Amelia.


After the long day we had, we weren't sure what the night would hold. But luckily it went great! Amelia only woke up once at 3 a.m. Then she didn't wake up again until this morning at 8 a.m. Wow! Way to go Amelia! Mommy feels like a new woman now that she got so much sleep!

Here are a few last picture from this morning. Jacob and Amelia were having fun together. He got a kick out of the fact that she was holding his finger.


She even started to suck on it, which he thought was funny!


Today has been going much better than yesterday, and I am sure it will just keep getting better as we get into the swing of things.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the cute pictures, it looks like you are all doing well. Give Amelia a kiss for Grandpa and Grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that we could help and I got the pics up on my photoshop site for you. She is beautiful and thank you for sharing her with us.

    ReplyDelete