Friday, March 23, 2012

Spring Preschool

The second topic for preschool this week was Spring! What a fun topic. I found lots of great books at the library.


I have to say that my favorites were Un-Brella by Scott E. Franson; My Garden, by Kevin Henkes; and Hurray for Spring! by Patricia Hubbell. We also enjoyed One Rainy Day by M. Christina Butler; The Yellow Umbrella by Jae Soo Liu; and Ella, Of Course! by Sarah Weeks.

This time we did not get to read quite as many books because the kids were a bit restless, but that's how it goes sometimes!

For our craft we made umbrellas out of paper plates, which was perfect since the letter of the day was U! I actually let the kids use water colors, and I think the umbrellas turned out really well. Here is Ephraim's:


As you can see, we used a candy cane for the handle. I actually cut the scallops off the other half of the paper plate and glued the sides together to make a little pocket. Then we put a poem about april showers bringing may flowers inside the pocket with a packet of seeds. The kids thought that was pretty cool.

They also really liked the treat that I made:


Sprout cupcakes! How cute are these! They were really easy to make and the kids loved them. The funny thing is many of them preferred the plain cupcakes, over the ones that were sprinkled with chocolate cookie crumbs to make it look like dirt. Silly kids! But that's why I made both kinds.


They all loved the worms, of course!

Another fun thing I did for class was to grow a bean seed in a jar. I just wet a paper towel and put the seeds up against the glass. That way they can see what is going on in there. Cool, huh?


The boys have had a lot of fun watching the seeds grow roots and then start to sprout! I guess we should decide if we are going to put them in the dirt once they have sprouted.


It was a fun week at preschool. I enjoy teaching, but it is nice to have it done so I can get other stuff done around the house too!

1 comment:

  1. You are amazing with these preschools! I will be stealing your ideas next year!!

    ReplyDelete