Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Potty Training and the Trouble with Number Two

At aerobics this morning one of my friends asked me how potty training with Ephraim is going, since she knew we started potty training on Monday the 20th. I figured that potty training Ephraim would be harder than it was with Jacob, since Jacob had it down in about four days. What I never really figured on HOW it would be harder.

The first couple of days of potty training were rough. Since we go directly to underwear with no pull-ups, I expect a bit of a learning curve. We mostly stayed inside and spent lots of time going to the bathroom; but with rewards for going on the potty, Ephraim learned pretty quickly and things got better.


We actually got to the point where Ephraim was enjoying wearing his underwear. He liked choosing which pair to wear and didn't want to put on a diaper when it was time to go to bed. On Friday and Saturday day we had absolutely NO ACCIDENTS! This was pretty impressive because Friday my friend Melinda came and picked up and took us on a shopping trip to Salt Lake for my birthday. We went out for lunch a did some shopping, and you can bet we visited the bathroom at nearly every store we went to. I was so impressed that Ephraim did so well. I was singing the hallelujah chorus and we were all happy.


For just a moment I thought I was mostly finished with potty training since Jacob trained just that fast. Maybe I can finally stop doing so much laundry... Ha! Not so fast, Mommy! The inevitable happened... for the past three days we have had an accident every day. Only one accident per day is pretty good, right?!

Well, it WOULD be pretty good... if the accidents weren't all Number Two! Ugh! Dealing with this kind of accident makes us all feel a bit like this:

I don't understand how Ephraim can stay dry for 5 days in a row and yet not make it to go poop on the potty! We go to the bathroom at least once or twice an hour, but if I don't get him to the bathroom at the random right moment, then I end up with yuck!

I guess the good news is that we are making progress. This evening Ephraim actually told me he needed to go potty! He had already started to do his business, but at least he caught himself. Maybe we will get through this potty training business after all.

That would be nice because I love this boy and I would really like to keep him. :o)

1 comment:

  1. Potty training is miserable and you've done a great job! I think, however, that I will always remember singing and cheering for Ephraim in the Hobby Lobby bathroom.

    ReplyDelete