Saturday, June 13, 2009

Around Utah Lake

Yesterday Joe drove to work rather than riding his bike. The weather has been rainy off and on, so it has been hard for him to decide if he should ride or not.

Well, after Joe had been at work for a while his boss showed up in his riding clothes and told Joe he was going to take the day and ride around Utah Lake. Of course Joe was itching to go to.

So he called me up and we chatted about it. I could tell that he really wanted to do it too. So I told him he should come home and get his bike and go find his boss on his route. So that's what he did.

I wasn't even home with the boys when Joe came to get dressed and put his bike in the car, but he called and updated me periodically. First Joe drove his car out to Goshen because he knew his boss would have to go through there and he was pretty sure he would be ahead of him.

Joe managed to catch his boss there and they headed out together. They went around the west side of the lake (heading north). Joe called me when they were getting close and I told him that I would be happy to run him out some sunscreen and more snacks.

So I put the boys in the car just before naptime and we went and found Joe. At this point I think he was a bit more than halfway done. We loaded him up and put sunscreen on him (I didn't want him to get burned like I did!). Of course I also brought the camera and drove with him a bit to take some pictures. Aren't these nice photos?

Joe and Kevin took a road that went behind Geneva Steel, right next to the lake. That's where I took this nice picture. The boys had fun seeing Daddy for a minute riding his bike.

Shortly after I left him to put Ephraim down for his nap, Joe and Kevin made it to UVU. Joe stopped for a bit and then headed out to the car in Goshen. He called me a couple of times and I talked him into stopping at Arby's to get something to eat, since he basically hadn't even had lunch... mostly just energy food the entire time!

Joe finished his ride, which was 96.75 miles. He did it in 5 hours and something like 13 minutes with an average speed around 18 mph. He is so fast! He was pretty wiped out when he got home, but I don't blame him! There was no support at all on his ride, and on the back side of the lake he ran out of water for a while. Towards the end his legs were cramping a bit as well.

I guess this was good practice for ULCER (Utah Lake Century Epic Ride), which Joe will be participating in sometime in August. It should be a little easier since he will have regular rest stops with water, and food!

Great job honey! We are proud of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment