Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Great Grandpa Heiner

A little over a year ago Grandpa and Grandma Heiner came with my parents to visit our family and see our newest addition. It had been over a year since I had seen my grandparents, so it was nice to have them at our house. We had a fun visit. Of course Ephraim got passed around so everyone could hold him.

Here is a picture of Ephraim and his Great-Grandpa. Isn't it sweet?

I don't remember anything really remarkable about that visit. Maybe if I had known that it would be one of the last times that I would see, talk to, and hug my Grandpa, perhaps I might have paid a little more attention and memorized each detail of his visit.

Saturday morning my Grandpa Heiner passed away.

His death was not unexpected. His cancer had returned, and we all knew the time was short. The past few months Grandpa had not been doing well. In a way, his death was a relief because now he would be free from the pains of this life. I am sad for my Grandma Allene because she is a widow once again, but I know that she has many friends and family to be there for her. I also knew that Grandpa Heiner would be reunited with my Grandma Marva Lou again, which I am sure was a joyful reunion.

It didn't hit me until Sunday that my Grandpa was truly not with us anymore. I won't get to see his smiling face; hear his deep, kind voice; tell him I love him or give him a big hug the next time we part. It makes me sad even though I know I will see him again someday.

Raising my own family the past few years had kept me busy, and I had not been able to see Grandpa Heiner very often, but I will miss him.

Grandpa was a kind, honest, dependable, hard-working, and friendly man. I loved visiting his house as a child! We always had fun at Grandpa and Grandma's house. I remember how Grandpa always had a smile ready for us and the way he used to carry butterscotch or rootbeer barrel candies in his pockets for his grandkids.

I remember the cupboard at the end of the hallway that was stocked with toys for us to play with and enjoy. I remember how fascinated I was with the staircase that went up to the huge door in the ceiling, granting access to the second floor. I remember singing songs and playing games on many occasions with my grandparents. I remember the yummy taste of the fresh fish Grandpa caught that he would share with us when we visited. I remember the taste of the cold, homemade rootbeer we drank out of teeny bottles that Grandpa kept just for the little ones on hot summer afternoons. I have so many memories of Grandpa's house. It was a magical place for me as a little girl, and I wanted to live there when I grew up.

Grandpa always had time to listen to us, and he loved to tease his grandkids. I am sad that my children will never get to know what a wonderful man he was. I guess it is up to me to tell them about him and show them the type of person he was by trying each day to be a little more like him.

I love you Grandpa. I will miss you. I look forward to seeing you again.

1 comment:

  1. My condolences to you! And isn't our faith and the knowledge we get to see them again the best?!

    ReplyDelete